usb hub not recognised

rubyred1 16:03 23 Nov 04

My rather geriatric computer only has 2 usb ports, so as I need to connect my printer, a Wacom tablet, my digital camera and my cordless mouse, I bought a 4 port usb hub. Although the lights on the hub are working, anything that is connected through it are not being recognised by my computer. Can anyone suggest an answer please, as I find it a flaming nuisance to scrabble about on my hands and knees the swap stuff over!!!

Many thanks

xania 16:14 23 Nov 04

When you first connected your hub to the PC, did the system recognise it and set up the drivers? If not, that's where your problem lies. It could be hardware (box or cable) or it could be software. What OS are you using? Does you hub connect into one of the exsiting USB ports or directly onto the mobo. If the later, try reversing the two data connections - don't interfere with the power connectors.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:15 23 Nov 04

Have a look here click here

Stuartli 16:51 23 Nov 04

Older versions of operating systems require drivers. Install these first before connecting the device.

Windows XP, for instance, recognises such devices automatically.

rubyred1 20:17 23 Nov 04

Thanks for your responses. Xania I'm using Win 98 and I'm connecting into one of my two ports. Cheers.

jack 20:23 23 Nov 04

You say you are using Win 98.
Only Win 98SE knows about USB.
Therefore you need to upgrade.
Small USB devices that have no separate power supply
draw on the Computers Power supply.
Connect only those devices you actually need to run.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…