usb hub issue

mantas 20:54 30 May 03

I just installed a 4 part usb hub. and now my cannon scanner goes haywire when i switch on It just does continuos scanning. It works fine when plugged into the normal usb, only like this via the hub
any thoughts

woodchip 21:07 30 May 03

Yes go to device manager and remove all USB, then restart your computer without the Hub plugged in. Then when it as sorted the USB after restart, plug the Hub back in and cancel the found new hardware box, put the CD disc in that you got with the Hub and load the drivers and software

sgtdibble 22:54 30 May 03

has it got its own power supply as i was told
the ones without were trouble

DieSse 00:40 31 May 03

Canon scanners will not work with an unpowered hub - they take all their power from the USB port, and unpowered hubs cannot cope.

Stuartli 00:41 31 May 03

It is not advisable to connect a scanner to a USB hub - it should be connected directly to a USB port on your system.

I have my Agfa scanner connected to one of my two USB ports (it also has a separate power supply) and the other is taken up by a hub, which is used for a webcam and digital camera pix downloading.

I would not have been aware of this but for the fact that the supplier of the (powered) USB hub warned not to use peripherals such as scanners with it as it could lead to problems.

spuds 11:25 31 May 03

Installing USB hubs may sound simple, but I have found from experience that this is not always the case. I purchased a PNY USB 6in1 Flashcard Reader, which would not install correctly via my usb computer built-in connection. Various correspondense between PNY and myself, resulted in a further purchase of a Medion 4 port self-powered hub. Result of that extra addition, solved the problem.So it maybe a case that you will require a self-powered usb hub.

-pops- 11:32 31 May 03

I can't see the point of USB hubs nowadays. It used to be that extra USB ports were difficult to obtain and very expensive. That is not now the case and buying a USB PCI card with four or five NEW USB connectors is cheaper, in many cases, than one of those unreliable and often unusable hubs.

To those who haven't space for another PCI card I say are you sure you shouldn't be looking at larger computer? If you are using all slots, that says to me that your motherboard is working at its full capacity.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…