USB Hub delays boot up process

technique 11:51 25 Feb 04

My 7 port USB Hub is, I've just discovered, adding a serious delay to the bootup procedure of my PC. I have WinXP Home as O/S, and when the Hub is connected to the PC the bootup from pressing the on button to arriving at the Login screen in XP takes nearly 15 minutes.

The delay begins when the PC attempts to do a memory check. After 15 minutes or so doing the check it then proceeds as normal for the rest of the bootup process.

Any ideas as to how I can prevent the Hub from interfering with the bootup process - aside from only plugging it in after I've logged in.

norman47 13:43 25 Feb 04

My usb card reader also prolongs my bootup, only by about 30 seconds though. I must admit that I have it unplugged until needed.

Have you checked in your bios to see if quick power on self test is enabled, usually under advanced cmos settings. Also look, in the bios, for a setting called usb legacy support, do you have one and what is it set at?

technique 20:06 28 Feb 04

I cannot see such settings in BIOS, but have checked the possibility that there's something there preventing a clean bootup....

...any other suggestions would be welcomed.

norman47 22:34 28 Feb 04

If you posted your motherboard / cpu details, then we could check for settings for you.

handy4x 22:48 28 Feb 04

allso in the bios boot sequence disable try any other devices as the system may think you have a usb hard drive and is trying to boot of it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…