USB Hub and Belkin Router

DO6371 12:50 02 Jan 06

I am trying to set up a wireless network,to sharre my broadband connection.

However i have aquired a Wirleless router which has a Ethernet connection for the modem, and have a USB Modem. To get round this i have a USB/Ethernet Adapter, which connects both but the router does not supply power to the Modem. I have been given the adivce that i required a externally powered USB Hub, connect the modem to this and this directly to the router. Needless to say this did not work a i think the hub needs to be connected directly to the PC for the drivers to work.

My question is if i connect the hub to the pc and the modem to the hub, can i then if i obtain a USB cable connect the router to the hub via the adapter then all the components 'speak' to eachother and be able to share the internet connection across the network????

Many thanks in anticipation.

ade.h 16:20 02 Jan 06

Hmm. Well, I'm fairly new to the networking thing myself, but it's my understanding that in most cases, you would need a router with a built-in ADSL modem.

Can you tell us what model of router you have? I'll find an online manual for it and have a read.

Good choice on Belkin by the way.

ade.h 16:25 02 Jan 06

When I say "in most cases" I think that particulalry applies to USB modems; if the Ethernet/USB adapter thing worked, it would be commonplace I think.

And to answer the last part of your question; that is almost certainly not going to work. In the case of a seperate modem and router, the modem would always have to be first in the chain for the router to have something to route, if you see what I mean!

DO6371 18:38 02 Jan 06

The model of Belkin isF5d7230-4

ade.h 19:15 02 Jan 06

click here= There's a lot of info here for that model.

It is, unfortunately, only a gateway router; AFAIK these are designed to work only with ethernet modems, so your USB adapter method may not be possible.

Remember that Belkin has free telephone techical support. 01933 35 2000 is the general number for Belkin UK. European tech support is 0800 223 55 460

ade.h 19:32 02 Jan 06

Slight number correction: 0800 should actually be 00800 I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac