USB HUB

trainman 2 11:58 26 Jan 05

Hi my windows xp laptop is equipted with a usb 2
port i have purcased two different makes of 4
port powered hubs but they freeze the laptop when i plug into them can anyone help me please.
Trainman 2

johnnyrocker 12:00 26 Jan 05

i suspect if they are not mains powered they are drawing too much from the laptop resources.

johnny.

georgemac © 12:06 26 Jan 05

they are mains powered - this is a strange one - do other usb devices work OK when plugged in?

can you navigate to device manager and check that there are no conflicts shown on usb devices

Chezdez 12:09 26 Jan 05

sounds to me like a lack of power

is your laptop plugged into the mains when you put the hub in?

jack 12:10 26 Jan 05

You did say 'Powered hubs'
That is to say plugged to the mains to make them indipendant of the Machines power supply.

As JT says plugging Unpowered hubs into a lappie could 'pull' the power down to such a level that a machine will not function. But Powered?
I wonder if there is not some form of feed back here.
Check out with the Makers Web site or Support line.

trainman 2 12:23 26 Jan 05

the laptop and hubs are mains powered every thing works pluged into the laptop but wont work in the hubs. device manager shows every hing ok

Technotiger 13:19 26 Jan 05

Hi, if you had only bought one powered hub, I would have suggested a dodgy hub, but probably not two - in which case I would suspect a dodgy usb port in laptop; or does any other usb peripheral work when plugged directly into laptop?

Just a thought. Cheers.

georgemac © 13:31 26 Jan 05

other devices are working OK when plugged into the laptop usb port.

I have heard of problems with usb connectors not being able to get fully into laptop ports because of their design - is it possible this may be happening with both hubs or are you sure the plugs are going in fully - perhaps try a usb extension cable before the hub?

Chezdez 17:35 26 Jan 05

yeah, the hub may not be sitting in the port correctly, try using a USB extension cord

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…