USB Hot swap a lot

Muergo 15:30 21 Apr 11

Am I asking for trouble by using one USB front panel socket for lots of different applications.

If I need to download or change something on, for example my mobile phone or camera or SD reader etc etc , I just plug and unplug each device to the same socket as I have no others conveniently spare.

OR should I use a powered hub and dedicate each outlet to a particular use?

How much slower if at all is the front socket compared to the back, I remember ages ago on this forum someone said the front was slower, but whether it's noticeable or not I do not know.

On this new PC I have two USB 3.0 sockets, where are they most usefully employed?

woodchip 15:35 21 Apr 11

Should not matter, but you should use the safe removal tool in system tray near clock before unplugging any drives. If not you will get these drives damaged

Muergo 16:16 21 Apr 11

I don't have external drives connected on and off, they are safely connected at the back with the leads and sockets labelled so they go back in the same place if removed.

woodchip 17:00 21 Apr 11

Memory cards are classed as Drives, If you pull them they will not last long as first they become corrupt so you cannot read or write to them

Muergo 23:50 29 Apr 11

Now I've put a 7port Belkin powered hub in, connected to the USB3 socket so see what happens.

You are correct but also all the unused sockets are shown as drives with additional letters.

rdave13 00:02 30 Apr 11

You are correct but also all the unused sockets are shown as drives with additional letters

Doubt it. Those drives are for your card reader I think.

Muergo 00:19 30 Apr 11

I hadn't thought of that, the new card reader I have just connected to the USB hub is a ""60 to!"", god knows where they got that figure from, I has only seven different slots, make is E-Blue but it can take everything, in addition to SDHC it does sticks, Flash, compact, SIM big, small and micro versions of them all. It cant use up all the alphabet letters for drives.

rdave13 00:23 30 Apr 11

It won't but some 'slots' will be multi-purpose.

robin_x 13:31 30 Apr 11

USB 3 is much higher transfer rate compared to USB 2 so it's useful for copying large amounts of data to and from drives. eg movies and backups.

My 60GB full system image takes about an hour to USB 2 ext drive.

I would expect that to fall to say 15-20 mins with USB 3 since you never get adrvertised speed improvements.

Your hub may only require the power adapter for running heavy load. eg USB powered HDD.

Certinly I run my cheap and cheerful Belkin 4 port on my laptop without power supply. Just one less thing to get tangled.

I don't know the 7 way Belkin tho'.

Woolwell 14:11 30 Apr 11

IMO it is better to have a powered hub with a desktop. But it does depend on what you are running off USB. I currently have 2 external HDD's, a printer, a scanner, TomTom, a Zip drive and cables for phone and camera/ereader/mp3 player and I also connect memory sticks. I have a built in card reader so rarely connect the camera.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:48 30 Apr 11

Hot swapping no problem as long as you are sure the device is not being read or being written to.

Ghost device conflicts are the cause for unrecognised devices, especially for devices that are connected and disconnected regularly in the same port i.e. pen drives, external drives, mp3 devices and phones.

Show/Conceal Hidden Devices in Device Manager This tweak forces all devices to be displayed.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit] Registry Key: HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment Data Type: REGSZ [String Value] // Value Name: DEVMGRSHOWNONPRESENTDEVICES Modify/Create the Value Name [DEVMGRSHOWNONPRESENT_DEVICES] according to the Value Data listed below. Value Data: [1 = Show Devices / 0 = Hide Devices]

Exit Registry and Reboot

To cure unrecognised devices Remove all USB devices

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdevicesview.html

Download and run

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…