USB Host Controllers

carryduff 11:54 04 Nov 06

I use a lot of USB accessories and have been advised to install a Hi Speed USB Host Controller. I can buy a 4 port one cheap but as it has to be fitted to a PCI slot on the motherboard, I was wondering if a beginner such as myself would be able to install it. I have replaced the CD drive and memory upgrades some months ago so I know a little bit about the processes involved. Thanks to all who take the time to reply.

FreeCell 14:11 04 Nov 06

You don't say what operating system you are using, but yes you should be able to instal a USB card as long as you are careful.its not a difficult job.

If you have Win XP then it's no real problem. Win 98 or ME, in my experience, have always been a bit more problematic but not difficult. Key thing is to make sure that you load the new drivers first.These you will get usually on a CD but may have to download.

Ensure everything is unplugged before opening up your PC. There are usually screws on the back which release the case, sometimes thimb screws, others a screwdriver is needed. Touch a radiator or similar electrically grounded object first before touching anything inside the box. Remove a blanking plate on a spare slot for the new card and insert it carefully, making sure it is pressed into the connectors firmly. Put things back together, and reconnect and repower PC. New hardware should be found and new drivers installed. Job done.

If you have existing USB1 ports I found that because of the new drivers there is often a clash and these become inoperable. Perhaps someone else has found a solution if this occurs. Good luck.

carryduff 18:54 04 Nov 06

Yes FreeCell I have XP windows, thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…