usb home networking and internet access

T42 14:05 15 Aug 04

I have one desktop pc and one laptop, a usb modem and crossover cable and both pc's have adaptor cards. both have windows 2000 o/s the desk top is connecting to the internet ok but I am having trouble getting the laptop to communicate with the desktop and accessing the internet.I am using adsl broadband. Could some kind person explain the settings required and how to set them up.

pmjd 19:41 15 Aug 04

You need to setup the computer connected to the internet as an "internet Gateway". It should be on the advanced settings tab for the connection in the "Network and Dial up connections" folder.

Can't help mutch more as I've only ever set up for XP not 2000 but it was dead easy to do.

mgmcc 19:59 15 Aug 04

You need to set up "Internet Connection Sharing" on the internet connection in the 'host' PC (if Windows 2000 supports ICS???). The IP address in the 'host' PC's network adapter should be set to 192.168.0.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0 and the 'client' PC should be set to get its address automatically. Both PCs must be in the same Workgroup.

Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the IP addresses of both PCs in its "Trusted Zone".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…