USB HDD jumper settings?

Pineman100 19:02 29 Jun 07

I've bought a new hard drive, to give myself greater backup capacity in my USB caddy. Its a 250GB Hitachi Deskstar.

I'm pretty sure that I have to set the jumpers to Master for this application, but the jumper setting diagram on the drive has got me totally confused!

To save having to try and describe the diagram, I've posted a picture of it: click here.

I'm hoping that the text on the diagram is readable.

Please could someone advise me which jumper setting to apply for this?

By the way, could you also please advise me whether FAT32 or NTFS would be best? My C: drive is NTFS.

Many thanks for any advice.

Pineman100 19:06 29 Jun 07

Well I've just tried looking at my picture, and while most of the stuff seems readable, I should perhaps clarify the following:

In the left-hand section of the label, the top row is labelled "16 heads", and the bottom row "15 heads". In the right-hand section, the top row is labelled "32GB Clip" and the bottom row is labelled "Auto spin disable).

I hope that helps.

Technotiger 19:40 29 Jun 07

Hi, Set as Master (10 heads). Format NTFS.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:02 29 Jun 07

Set as 16 heads, (move first jumper 1 set of pins to the left)

format NTFS

jack 20:13 29 Jun 07

May I disagree with TT and FB
Formatting to NTFS makes it able to accept and work only NTFS files.
Format to FAT 32 it is then universal - NTFS can read them and so can older systems

You takes your choice- especially if you have docs from your previous systems to refer to.

Technotiger 20:29 29 Jun 07

The reason I said 10 heads, is because it is shown in the pic as Cable Select 10 Heads.

Pineman100 09:43 30 Jun 07

Many thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

Just to confirm that I've understood correctly, I should set the jumpers as Device 0 Master for 16 heads (Technotiger - I think my poor photo makes 16 look like 10 to you). Correct?

I note Jack's comment that FAT32 is universal and NTFS is not. But since my main hard drive is NTFS, and that will be the only source of data written to this USB drive, I don't know whether that benefit really applies in this case. Are there any other arguments for/against one file system against the other?

Thanks again, everyone.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:17 30 Jun 07

FAt32 advantage is can be read by older op systems and DOS.
disadvantage - cannothandle files over 4gig in size.

NTFS
Disadvantage can only be read by Win 2k XP and Vista
Advantage can handle large file sizes and imakes bette use of the space on your drive.

Pineman100 17:14 30 Jun 07

Based on those pros and cons, I'm able to make an informed judgement - I think I'll go for NTFS.

Many thanks again to everyone for your valuable help. Much appreciated.

Technotiger 18:40 30 Jun 07

Grreat - Thanks for the feedback, and yes I have had another squint ... 16 it is :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…