usb hdd casing driver problem for win 98

bnd 16:13 18 Dec 06

I have win 98 se pc with asus p4bgl/mx mobo. It has usb 2.0 port. I downloaded the win 98 drivers from asus site and installed them.

Later on I purchased "ZIPPYS" usb hdd casing. I installed the drivers from the accompanying driver cd and has been using the casing. But I don't get "safely remove" icon in the system tray. So I have to shut down the pc before disconnecting the usb hdd. I thought this facility is available in xp only.

After few days I read the manual for casing and found that this type of icon is availble and should be used. I think I have installed wrong driver and as a result not getting the icon in system tray. Should I install the correct driver without uninstalling the wrong one ? If not how to uninstall the old driver ?

thanks

Diemmess 16:22 18 Dec 06

You may not be able to be entirely rid of this sort of driver but worth a try to avoid confusion later.

In my experience provided the plug isn't pulled during data transfer there will be no snags.
in fact I didn't expect this notice when I changed OS from 98SE to 2000 and saw it for the first time. (2000 like XP has its own drivers for USB HD)

Riccall One 16:29 18 Dec 06

I am working on Windows 98 and due to some alterations I needs more ports on USB. The first I bought from Argos did not work on Windows 98 I returned it a exchanged it for a Cable & Wireless Hub which showed 98/98SE/Me/2000/XP this was also shown in the Argos Catalouge. When I try to load it I get the message that it is not compatable with Windows 98 it requires 98SE and above. I spoke to Argos who did not seem interested, Cable & Wireless are handled by Alba who's help line you can not get through to. I emailed their customer care and after several email was told to ring the Helpline Yes that the one you can not get through to. Any one know of a hum that will work on Windows 98 Please.

Riccall One 16:33 18 Dec 06

Sorry but I got on the wrong link there,

xania 16:39 18 Dec 06

SDO far as I am aware Windows 98 does not supoprt USB - although it sometimes works, it will let you down if you try anything clever. Upgrading to SE is now very cheap and well worth while if you don't want to go the XP route.

click here

Diemmess 18:09 18 Dec 06

Your Win 98SE is fine, your USB 2 port is better, indeed essential for rapid data transfer to the external HD.

Really, don't worry about switching the computer off first. (IMO) pull the plug any time you want as long as you are sure there is no data in transfer when you do it. As I said some installations on W98SE don't flag this warning anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…