USB HDD

donmar 17:09 01 Jan 05

My new external drive stops my machine booting if it is pluged in.If I plug it in after the machine boots it works fine.

I have Win XP Home,does anyone know if it possible to get the package to boot plugged in or is tis impossible with an external drive?

I hope you all have a fantastic new year.

Don

jack 17:24 01 Jan 05

How is the drive powered?
If it is relying on the Computer for power then it and any other USB devices plugged in is over loading the Computer Power supply.
With the obvious exception of USB mice/Keyboards
USB devices are best left unplug unless eequired for that session.
The exception is for those devices that have their own power supply

donmar 18:03 01 Jan 05

Hi Jack

The drive has its own power supply.

Don

Starfox 18:14 01 Jan 05

Juat got an external 80g usb HDD with own power supply for Christmas and I leave it plugged in,it boots up no problem,I suspect you have a fault somewhere.

jack 10:31 02 Jan 05

How many other USB devices are on the machine?
Are you using a hub?

Give more detail of the units and arrangements of cables and plugs

jack 10:32 02 Jan 05

Also what Operating system?

donmar 11:39 02 Jan 05

Only a Broadband modem and an ext. dvd writer.The HDD is pluged into a USB Hub.
Ghost will not write to the Ext.DVD writer unless I move it from the hub into the usb socket at the side of the machine.HOWEVER if I plug the drive into one either of these 2 sockets windows tells me to move it into a usb2 socket because its a high speed drive,moing it back to the hub results in windows accepting ot ok.I have winxp home.I use a wireless mouse.

Don

jack 14:35 02 Jan 05

Looks like there is not enough power going out of the hub.
If the hub can have an external power source then do it.
Failing that Imvest in a 4port USB2 PCI card[ about Tenner from usual sources] Then all will be hunky dory

TomJerry 15:56 02 Jan 05

I have an external usb HDD do the same thing as yours on one computer, but another two computers and other external HDD have no problem. It think it is conflict between particular motherboard and a particular USB HDD.

I bet you cannot even get past POST (i.e. bios stage), so windows is not loaded.

donmar 17:19 02 Jan 05

Thanks for getting back to me guys.I will try a PCI card as suggested.

I don't really know what POST is but but windows is not loaded if I boot with the HDD plugged in.

Don

jack 08:48 03 Jan 05

P.O.S.T.
Is P re O n S elf T est

it is when you first switch the machine on and it
goes on and on telling you and itself that this and
that bit is there and working. Then it goes quiet then Windows splash screen comes up and Windows is loading.

Not A Lot of People Know That [ Well most on tis site do ]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…