USB HD not recognised

Hayrick 15:15 27 Dec 07

Maxtor One touch USB not recog nised by my desk top

g0nvs 16:48 27 Dec 07

O/S ????

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:32 27 Dec 07

Does it show in Disk management?

You may have to Assin a drive letter or even initialise / format it first.

Hayrick 18:55 27 Dec 07

Mesh computer with XP Hom. 1GB Memory plus plenty of HD space.
The usb drive is shown on USB port in deices but says it cannot be recognised. The drivers etc are held on the USB drive , that according to Maxtor should show My computer as soon as it is plugged in.

dangerusone 19:26 27 Dec 07

Hayrick, I had the same trouble,I was plugging in to a hub port and got nothing, I have started plugging into one of the front ports on my tower and don't seem to have any problem now

Woolwell 20:50 27 Dec 07

I have a Maxtor Onetouch USB. You don't need any drivers with XP. The only software on the drive that you should need with XP is the Maxtor Manager which you can use to back-up your documents but you do not have to use this software.
It indeed should show up as soon as it is connected. I had one problem with it when it wasn't properly recognised and I solved it by taking out the power lead of the Maxtor, waiting for a few moments and then powering back up. A bit drastic but it worked.

Hayrick 12:47 28 Dec 07

Tried all these and I always get the same rsponse No drivers are installed for this devce. It is listed as removable storage in device manager. Cannot find drivers for this device.

Hayrick 12:48 28 Dec 07

Tried all these and I always get the same rsponse No drivers are installed for this devce. It is listed as removable storage in device manager. Cannot find drivers for this device.

Woolwell 12:53 28 Dec 07

I can only suggest that you follow the steps in the Seagate support click here

Hayrick 15:56 28 Dec 07

This has been tried now on 2 computers. Thanks Woolwell Following your click here the suggestion is that the drive is faulty. looks like a trip to the store. thanks to all for the help.

Jak_1 18:17 28 Dec 07

Did you follow the installation instruction that came with the drive, there should also have been a cd with the drive that you need in order to format the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced