USB hardware - is there a limit?!?

Darth_chaffinch 14:19 01 Mar 08

Apologies if this has been posted before- tried searching honest!

I have a Dell 5150 and have just got a USB external DVD writer, am I going to 'max-out' the USB connections in any way if I now add this to the 5 existing USB connections I have?!?

(Yes I'm not an expert!)

ACOLYTE 14:28 01 Mar 08

The only issue i can think of is a power one,if your psu isn't big enough,but apart from that you can add many USB hardware to a pc and run than without problems.
Adding a USB hub can add many more ports to a pc and the max ports you can have can run into the hundreds in theory.

Darth_chaffinch 14:34 01 Mar 08

Thanks acolyte, I've read that hubs can be prone to problems though? I guess as long as the low-power devices are connect to the hub it may be ok?

Darth_chaffinch 14:39 01 Mar 08

Any recommendation on a hub also please, I've just read very mixed reviews of the budget Trust ones.

Technotiger 14:40 01 Mar 08

Max number of USB devices - 127!

click here

ACOLYTE 14:43 01 Mar 08

Im sorry i cant recomend any hub in particular as i have never used one,the 6 USB ports i have has always been enough for my needs,but i would think like most things you get what you pay for.

Totally-braindead 14:45 01 Mar 08

click here as an example. 7dayshop are about the cheapest but most of them are Trust ones and you don't seen to like them. Belkin are about the best make for anything like this but they are dear. Personally I have seen no difference in the makes.
Also maybe look here click here

Totally-braindead 14:55 01 Mar 08

Its worth mentioning that if your USB hard drive has a seperate power supply then the power it will drag is low and its unlikely you need a USB hub at all. Unless the devices you are connecting to the USB take all their power from the USB you probably won't have a problem.

Darth_chaffinch 14:57 01 Mar 08

Thanks, the Novatech one looks good. The Trust ones have bad reviews due to physical spacing of the ports and several cases of them 'dying' (Amazon).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…