USB harddrive cradles

foreignmuck 18:36 13 Jan 06

my desktop pc has died compeltey (wont even turn on) , and i am just about to take the pluge buy a new laptop.

however, i need to get the data thats on on my PC harddrive onto the new laptop.

ive heard you can get a USB cradle and use the old harddrive on my new laptop, working like an external hard drive.

has anyone got any suggestions as to a suitable product ? preferably the cheapest solution.

if not, any other solutions?

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:21 13 Jan 06

Asumming old PC has EIDE hard drive (Not SATA)

USB2 to IDE external hard drive case s click here

foreignmuck 19:27 13 Jan 06

thanks

i think it may be a SATA hard drive on the old PC..
is this problem?

Totally-braindead 19:29 13 Jan 06

I bought one of these click here+ and its excellent, no pic but the one I got is a nice light blue and silver colour. Good prive too. Or look here for others click here

Totally-braindead 19:30 13 Jan 06

If its SATA go to the second link, theres some there

foreignmuck 19:42 13 Jan 06

no, jsut checked its IDE.

many thanks.
are there any that dont require a power supply?

foreignmuck 19:51 13 Jan 06

sorry, one more question....

if i hook up my old hardrive thats possibly riddled with all sorts of nasty spyware/tojan horses etc, will it infect my nice new laptop?

The laptop will have anti virus/spyware protection software installed, but will all the nasty stuff be contained on the external harddrive if its on there?

GuZ><0r 19:55 13 Jan 06

As long don't transfer the files with the spyware in, it shouldn't get on your new laptop. Before you transfer everything, run a few checks using different anti-virus/spyware programs.

foreignmuck 20:02 13 Jan 06

brilliant
thank you all for your advise

much appreciated.

GuZ><0r 20:12 13 Jan 06

No Problem!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac