USB Hard Drive Problem on Win 2K & XP

beastieboy 14:10 03 Feb 03

Hi,

I have an external USb 2.0 hard drive. When i connect it to my home computer, it runs fine, so I formatted it to NTFS and compressed the drive, since this (it worked before) when I connect it to the WIN 2K system (has WIN XP home serials... anwyay) at University, I can't save to E:\ (external drive) at all, if I create a new folder in E:\ - I can't change the name from "New Folder" so I either have to save here or save to a folder which is already present.

Would re-formatting it back to FAT32 solve this?

When trying to un-compress my drive at home - I don't have any options for this anymore, I get a tab about sharing on a server (I am running IIS at home)

Please can someone help.

janusz

Lú-tzé 14:41 03 Feb 03

I think that you need to remove the compression and it will be ok? Sometimes disk compression seems to be a bit hit and miss between operating systems?

NTFS should be ok though for both machines.

I assume that when you plug in the usb2 cable it is recognised as a removable hdd?

cream. 15:58 03 Feb 03

I agree with Lú-tzé about the compression.

It may show up as drive H.

This is what would happen under fat32 compressed drive with win9X.

Have you checked for other drives registered in my computer?

beastieboy 16:00 03 Feb 03

It says that I do not have permission and stuff - :s

Bugger

I'll go home & try 2 sort it.

Cheers 4 now.

Janusz.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…