Usb Hard drive

cravenbiker 13:18 02 Jul 08

Hi, I am really not very pc literate but I need a way that I camn easily store, transfer and swap data from pc to pc and wondered if the USB hard drives were as simple as just plugging in and sendind/receiving data to/from it? ie does it work like a flash stick.
If you would recommend a flash stick, that is if the hard drive is not just a case of plugging it into the usb port and off you go, then what make would you recommend and what is the largest volume of storage you can get on a flash stick and would the size effect the write/read speed?

Many Thanks
Tristan

PO79 13:44 02 Jul 08

USB hard drives are indeed "plug and play", remember to use the"safely remove haedware" option in the task bar before unplugging them. You may need to format the drive before use.

USB flas drive are smaller, but of course more convenient, it's you choice

dms_05 13:49 02 Jul 08

You don't say if the computers are near each other. If they are you could use a LAN cable (Crossover not Patch) and set up a very simple network and see each computers hard drives etc on the other computer and then swap files. Cable is a few pounds.

cravenbiker 13:49 02 Jul 08

great ,thanks, any recommendations which usb hard drive to buy? what are the fastest ones? regards, Tristan

cravenbiker 13:56 02 Jul 08

Hi, the lan thing could be possible with my laptop and pc but for my work machine i will need something that is portable ....I think my best option would be to get both (flash stick and HD)
the lan thing......does that lead go into the hole that the internet cable goes in ? if so this would be no good s i only have 1 of those on each machine.
Thank you

Pamy 14:24 02 Jul 08
  Gordon999 14:37 02 Jul 08

I agree with Pamy. I have a WD My Book external drive 500GB 7200 it's hot swapable so no need to worry about safely removing it.

cravenbiker 14:49 02 Jul 08

Thats Great,
is there a good usb flash stick that is renowned for its speed and reliability? ie strength and durability.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…