USB hard drive

22715240 14:43 14 Dec 05

I have just tried to install an IDE/ATA hard drive through a USB port on my laptop. Although it shows in the control panel system hardware as being there, it does not show up as a drive on 'My Computer'. I am using XP and have had a previous IDE drive on with no problems.It is a second hand drive so I assume it is formatted. Any ideas, please?

woodchip 14:46 14 Dec 05

Right click My computer\Manage\Disc Management give the disc a letter and set the disc up for use

phono 14:53 14 Dec 05

Under Computer Management does your drive show up in the Drive Manager? If it does check what its status is, by right clicking on the drive you will get the option to format the drive amongst other options.

22715240 21:01 14 Dec 05

Woodchip,
That suggestion of yours worked a treat. All back okay. That's something new I've learned today, I'll try and remember that for future use. Thanks a lot!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…