USB hard disk drives

chapeau 15:54 26 Jun 09

Thinking of installing a USB hard drtive to handle back ups.( following a disastrous system crash. But am getting conflicting advice.
1 USB drives are fat32 not NTFS, true false ? I want NTFS.
2 Can I partition a usb drive into two or more drives ?. One for backups ie disc images of laptop, one for desktop, one for Warehouse for example.
3 Is it worth paying the extra for included software for backup encryption etc.
All comments helpful.

T I M B O 16:01 26 Jun 09

you can format to ntfs when you get that external hard drive, weston digital My Book comes in fat 32, i format to ntfs.

Yes you can partition if needed, but i never do.

I use this software thats free and extremly reliable,click here im not too sure on encryption tho, i know there is software out there, just never used it.

Rahere 16:06 26 Jun 09

1 USB disc drives are generally FAT32 for compatibility across the board. You can convert easily enough - just a few keystrokes.

2. My thoughts are that you don't need to partition a back up, I use folders unless I need security or specific access rights.

3. Some drives have straight data backup software but you'll need imaging software too Arconis seems to be the preferred one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:11 26 Jun 09

1. They come as fat32 so that people with older operating systems(pre XP)or people that wish to use on several different op systems, can use them.

You can reformat to NTFS or convert
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your F: drive, you would type 'Convert F: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

2. Yes you can partition Vista has its own built in partition software and there are free and paid for patrition software packages available.

3. No, plenty of free encryptors available

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…