USB hard disk

carl48 12:55 25 Jul 03

PC Advisor often recommends getting a removable hard disk for storage. Can anyone with one of these devices tell me if they are as quick as the integrated sort, and also whether there are any formating problems - especially, is it necessary to buy another licence for Windows XP in order to use the removable disk?

Jester2K II 12:56 25 Jul 03

You'll only need another license if you install Windows onto the disk. For Backups you don't need to do that - just format it as you would a floppy.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:09 25 Jul 03

You do not need an OS on a removable disk. I use a maxtor (click here) USB, 40Gb, removable disk to dump many programmes on. This ensures that the main drive, which has the OS on, has as little on as possible. An external disk is slightly slower than running off the main drive but you will hardly notice it.

G

carl48 19:25 25 Jul 03

Thanks, Guys, that's what I wanted to know.

Diemmess 20:04 25 Jul 03

With suitable kit (tray etc) you can withdraw a standard internal second HDD and plug it in again when wanted.

My own experience with an external USB HDD is that it is fine, but even with a USB 2 connection, data transfer is nowhere near as fast as an ordinary internal drive, in fact closer to a fast reading CDROM. Fine for data but I don't think you can run a Windows O/S from a USB connection.

Cesar 10:10 26 Jul 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…