USB front panel connection

neko 16:22 27 Sep 03

Hi

I just fitted a new case and power supply for someone. The case came with two front USB ports and wires.
Upon checking their motherboard I noticed two rows of FIVE pins for USB.
The wires I have from the front of the case are two sets of FOUR wires.
How would I attach them? Below is the info....

MS-6191 Micro ATX IR2 Mainboard
AMD Irongate Chipset.

The Wires supplied from the case are

1. VCC1, DATA +1, DATA -1, GND1
2. VCC2, DATA +2, DATA -2, GND2

I downloaded the motherboard manual and it just states the pins are there, no info. I would have a play at it but someone said I could fry the board!!?? Any truth in that?
Hope someone can help

Cheers

froggg 17:35 27 Sep 03

there should be 9 pins,not 10,look on the board with a magnifying glass for + or -
+ would be vcc1(or2)- would be gnd1(or 2)
recheck your manual,it should be in there.

neko 17:52 27 Sep 03

Hi
Thanks for replying.
I don't have the PC with me but the motherboard book does show 10 pins. and points out pin1.
I did look very closely at the board but it only said USB next to it. Any further ideas?
If i could attach the boards book to this message I would. It doesn't say anything else.

Gongoozler 18:04 27 Sep 03

Hi neko. I have just downloaded your motherboard manual, and they have made a pigs ear of it. The USB port pins are even printed wrongly. They give the USB port pins as 1=VCC(5V), 2=-DATA, 3=GND, 4=+DATA. I'm sure this should be 1=VCC(5V), 2=-DATA, 3=+DATA 4=GND, see click here.

Your motherboard will have the same pin sequence, but at one end of the pin header will be a shield pin and the pin alongside will probably be unused, or possibly empty to prevent a polarised 10 way socket being fitted incorrectly. Without sensible information in the manual, the only safe way to find out what is what is to use a voltmeter to identify the 5V (VCC) pins and the 0V(GND) pins. Wrong connection of the data pins is unlikely to do any damage, but connecting the 5V to ground probably would.

woodchip 18:11 27 Sep 03

Pin one Red Wire. Wrong connection blows a onbord usb fuse the usb will then not work, you cannot repair the fuse.

pj123 18:18 27 Sep 03

As froggg says there should only be 9 pins. But only four pins on each row are used. I have a diagram in Excel to connect them. Email me if you want it.

woodchip 18:26 27 Sep 03

If you can only see one pin marked with a 1 then both of the pins at the beginning of the row should have red wire also the last two pins in each row is black. cannot just remember where the green and goes without removing the cover of comp

woodchip 18:29 27 Sep 03

and if you have only one black wire in each group of wires, it can go on any of the last pins away from the red wire

neko 18:46 27 Sep 03

Thanks everyone!

I'll get hold of the Pc tomorrow and try your suggestions. Thanks again.

pj123 13:17 28 Sep 03

Hi neko, trying to send you that excel file but NTL seem to be having problems on their pop3 server. I can't send any emails. They mumbled something about a virus they have. I will keep trying. Pete

DieSse 14:44 28 Sep 03

Be very very careful with any suggestions other than your motherboard manual.

Different motherboards have different pin layouts for motherboard headers - THERE IS NO STANDARD LAYOUT - nor is there a standard number of pins on the header. I've got at least three totally different ones in my workshop right now!

The link Gongoozler gave is useful - but incomplete - for instance, some connectors with two rows of pins have Vcc at the same end on each row - some have them at opposite ends. Get this wrong and you'll probably blow a fuse!

The connector block in the manual, as you say, is unmarked, but is clearly for ONLY ONE USB PORT - thus you can expect the connections to be odd. Unless you find info specific to your baord, I suggest you don't even try until you have contacted the manufacturers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…