usb flash stick problem

Jlen 19:48 01 Nov 06

A friend of mine gave me his 1gb stick (Viking Interworks USB 2.0 Drive) to download a pile of music from my PC (xp home sp2) when i plugged it into one of my usb ports it came up with an error baloon 'USB Device not recognized, malfunctioned etc' My own humble 256mb stick works ok
Thx in adavance

TomG 19:58 01 Nov 06

maybe try it on another pc

Jlen 20:13 01 Nov 06

Tom
it works on my son's pc....is itsomething to do with a drivers ?

FreeCell 20:21 01 Nov 06

What's your PC and operating system?

Jlen 20:29 01 Nov 06

windows xp home ed service pack 2 v 5.1.2600

Jlen 20:35 01 Nov 06

its a Dell 5100

FreeCell 20:45 01 Nov 06

Sounds daft I know, but try swirching off yopur PC and diconnecting completely from the mains. Pull out plug and leave for few minutes. Then switch back on. Seems to have resolved similar problems for others see click here

Jlen 20:55 01 Nov 06

Sorry freecell didn't work

skidzy 21:00 01 Nov 06

lenjam,try this

Plug the flash drive in (ignore the error ballon),now goto device manager: Start/Right click My Computer and select properties/hardware/device manager .....now look for any yellow exclaimation marks beside usb headings.If they exist,right click it and uninstall/reboot and xp will load the generic drivers.
You may have a driver problem,but really i do not see why when your other flash drive works ok.

FreeCell 21:04 01 Nov 06

Shame lenjam, did seem a strange solution.

I have a friend with a Dell 5100 and that has taken any usb sticks thrown at it as far as I know.

Options are to try deleting the usb drivers and restart PC and XP will then re-install them. It doesn't seem a guarantee of success.

As an aside to get around immediate problem any option to transfer the files you want to your son's PC and then on to the usb stick? (Assuming son will let you any where near his PC)

Jlen 21:31 01 Nov 06

didn'work skidzy,as you say my 256mb stick works no problem which is frustrating

thx for the sugg

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009