USB Flash Drives

IanWilk 10:35 30 Jan 03

Does anyone out there have experience of these - good, bad, indifferent, problems, optimum size, reliability, uses made, good/ bad brands?

Lú-tzé 10:57 30 Jan 03

If you are using win me/2k/xp, then they are wonderful devices for transferring files between machines - 64mb seems to be the best value in terms of cost/effectiveness ratio. Bigger files can justify being burned to a CD - as I see it at least.

If using Win98 you will probably need to load some drivers to the machine before it is recognised, and Win95 has poor (non-existent?) support for USB.

powerless 11:02 30 Jan 03

There good...

Only differences are they look different between each brand...Also capacity (that i know of).

No problem with me...

512MB is the biggest one i've seen...

Reliabilty - Excellent...

Uses well depends upon the size you get a 512MB would be good for large backup...Not CD capacity size but nearer enough...

Easy to store files that are over 1.4MB ;-) Beats using a floppy drive.

Good for transfrering file betwenn two or more PC's

The one i have simply plugs into the USB, Win XP detects it and way you go.

With my Win 98 Machine you have to have a driver disc to start using it.

Don't remember the brand name of mine but it still working 2 years on.

S O N Y make them...

click here

powerless 11:02 30 Jan 03

There good...

Only differences are they look different between each brand...Also capacity (that i know of).

No problem with me...

512MB is the biggest one i've seen...

Reliabilty - Excellent...

Uses well depends upon the size you get a 512MB would be good for large backup...Not CD capacity size but nearer enough...

Easy to store files that are over 1.4MB ;-) Beats using a floppy drive.

Good for transfrering file betwenn two or more PC's

The one i have simply plugs into the USB, Win XP detects it and way you go.

With my Win 98 Machine you have to have a driver disc to start using it.

Don't remember the brand name of mine but it still working 2 years on.

S O N Y make them...

click here

IanWilk 19:34 30 Jan 03

Thanks for your thoughts on these - if I get one it would run from a USB hub - any experience of that?

zanwalk 20:56 30 Jan 03

Yes it would, I run mine from a usb hub. You can get several different types, including 6 in 1 type that reads all the different flash formats, not really necessary for most people though. Capacities have recently increased to 1Gb, so plenty of room for large files.

Also, click here have a special offer on flash memory at present, with up to £25 off.

It is a very reliable method of storing files, particularly if they are often changing. The life expectancy of flash memory is in excess of one hundred years!

Bagsey 22:26 30 Jan 03

Very useful piece of storage kit. Cheep readers and cards from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced