USB Flash Drive Lifespan

QuickHare 21:12 25 Apr 05

I read recently (maybe in PC Advisor) that a USB flash drive has a maximum limit on writes, just like a CD-RW, but without the roundness of a CD.

Theorically, it should be possible to write as many times as you like onto a flash drive, right? Or is there a limit I was not aware of? If there is a limit, I realise different makes will have different spans of life.

Pooke100 21:18 25 Apr 05

click here hope this helps

QuickHare 21:47 25 Apr 05

Thanks for the info. But it doesn't cover the question, sadly. I contacted those who wrote the site, and I hope they can answer me direct. Of course, I'll keep the forum up to date with what they say.

wiz-king 21:56 25 Apr 05

This might explain a bit about flash drives click here

DieSse 22:28 25 Apr 05

Pooke100's link seems to me to answer exactly what you asked - yes there is a limit, and there is quite a long piece about how mfrs cope with it.

Audeal 22:42 25 Apr 05

DieSse Is qite right Your question is answered Quote "Data can have a life span of up to 10 years on pen & flash drives" Unquote.

DieSse 22:47 25 Apr 05

Actually, I'm sorry, but I read both links and confused them myself.(not difficult at times - I plead old age).

The second link from wiz-king, in the section "article:- Flash Solid State Disks - Inferior Technology or Closet Superstar?" is the one that answers what you asked, of course.

VoG II 22:53 25 Apr 05

So I'll be all right until Tuesday next week when I have to make a presentation?

Pooke100 22:59 25 Apr 05

VoG I think you'll be alright.

Chances are the users of these things will break the thing before it "dies of old age" or runs out of read/writes.

QuickHare 23:13 25 Apr 05

wiz-king's link was the most comprehensive information I've ever read on the topic, and I thank you all for your help. I'll class this as solved, as my questions have now been answered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…