USB External HDD, driver problems

zaach 17:31 23 Aug 04

I recently bought an external HDD which works perfectly on WinXP Pro but I cannot get Win98SE to recognise it. I have used Partition Magic 8 to partition it and converted the first partition to Fat 32 to try and get at least the first partition accepted but although the drive registers in Device Manager with a warning ! the drivers won't load properly.

Anyone have a source for alternative drivers please?

buscrew 17:37 23 Aug 04

Have you tried right click my computer/device manager/expand hard drives right click on the drive/settings and put a check in Removable, this should then allow you to set a drive letter to recognise the disk.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 23 Aug 04

on the win98 machine

1.is the USB enabled in BIOS

2. Are usb drivers for win 98 loaded (USB only in win98se)

3. External drives usually use USB2 have you an ENHANCED driver indevice manager

SEASHANTY 19:43 23 Aug 04

You might have told us the make of the drive. Maybe there is some info on the manufacturers website.

SEASHANTY 19:46 23 Aug 04

You might have told us the make of the drive. Maybe there is some info on the manufacturers website.

zaach 21:02 23 Aug 04

hasn't worked.

Fruit Bat /\o/\, I already use USB for two printers, two cameras and a flash memory so had every expectation that USB would give no trouble.Drivers for the HDD are supposedly on the supplied CD for 98SE.

SEASHANTY, the drive is an Excelstor 80GB IDE HDD deivered already encased Model No.HD-337-U2C. I haven't yet been able to find a web site.
General, The drive should have been recognised under Plug & Play but it isn't.
My thanks to you all for coming in on this one, I'm lost.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:10 23 Aug 04

There are no USB2 drivers on the CD for Win98se USB2 wasn't invented when WIN98se came out.

click here for drivers

SEASHANTY 00:34 24 Aug 04

A link on this drive suggests in bold type to double check the product details on the merchants site before ordering - this is copied from the link:-

QUOTE Where to Buy Online

Click on the store name to visit their website and buy this product (cheapest price in red).
(note: Please make sure you double check the product details on the merchant's site BEFORE you order the product. This price comparison is presented as a guide only and may not reflect the actual price you pay for the ExcelStor Technology Ltd 80GB UDMA100 7200rpm ) UNQUOTE

Dabs is quoted as a supplier but I cannot find this product listed on their website. There also
appears to be no manufacturers address. Just the name ExcelStor Technology Ltd., You should have received a disc with it containing USB2 drivers.
Not the type of drive I would have purchased despite its cheap price.

zaach 16:53 24 Aug 04

I am now waiting for a reply from the suppliers but will leave this open for the moment. I haven't finished examining the lead via USBman yet.
In any event the drive works a charm on the XP machine it was originally meant for, the use with the 98 one would be nice but not crucial.
Getting through to this site today has been a shambles.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…