USB External Hard Drive

Redqueen 19:22 23 Dec 07

My daughter wishes to spend her Xmas money on a USB equipped external hard drive to back up her media. She has a max of £100 to spend. Her current system is an Evesham Solar GT500 XP OS.What is the best product and spec for the money. Her internal hard drive is a SATA 7200 with 8mb buffer.Many thanks and a Merry Christmas. Christine

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:30 23 Dec 07

click here for £60 and 360Gb she will find it hard to get a better one. Choose from Freecom, LaCie, Maxtor, Western Digital etc., they are all good and she will notice no difference in the performance. She could try Staples as they have very keen prices.

G

skidzy 19:31 23 Dec 07

Hi Christine,plenty to choose from click here
though i would possibly go for the Western Digital 500GB MyBook 11

skidzy 19:34 23 Dec 07

of all the web sites and we pick the same site Lol.

Les 19:47 23 Dec 07

Skidzy:

For a brief moment I thought that you were going to quote Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca, ie "Of all the gin joints etc.<g>

Redqueen:

Gandalf quoted (in addition to others) LaCie - Ive had one of these for two years 250 gb and worth its weight in gold. It cost some £10 at the time - now they are half that price and have a larger capacity.

Les 19:48 23 Dec 07

Redqueen:

£10 ??? I missed the three - it was £130! Sorry about that!

Longhouse 19:49 23 Dec 07

I wouldn't normally recommend PCW but the Maxtor 500Gb one touch looks a good price if you "collect at store".

click here

Stuartli 19:55 23 Dec 07

I bought the Seagate 400GB One Touch external drive for £53 from Scan (it was reduced from £58 on the TodayOnly page at the time).

Neat, smart and does the job perfectly (Seagate also owns Maxtor), but only the 500GB version now seems to be stocked.

See:

click here

Stuartli 19:57 23 Dec 07

However, an additional 100GB for just over £10 more isn't exactly a hard luck story...:-)

FatboySlim71 09:26 24 Dec 07

I can highly recommend the Western Digital MyBook, I have two of them and there a fantastic quick and reliable drive. Below is a link to a review I wrote on it.

click here

Technotiger 09:38 24 Dec 07

To compliment whichever drive your daughter gets, I suggest that she also gets Acronis True Image to do her back-ups click here

Merry Christmas :-)) Ho Ho Ho

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…