USB external drives 'dropping off'

antony-332406 15:33 02 Dec 06

i have a Dell Latitude running windows 2000, and im trying to use external USB drives... ones a CD writer, the other a Hard Drive.
i havent used both together yet, but both seem to have a problem, which i think must be to do with the USB.
after a while, windows displays the 'unpluged hardware' warning, and the disk's are disconected, although if i try to access the disk i can, this has caused a few 'coasters' to be created when burning CDs.
is there a setting to prevent this? im guessing the USB is sending a 'sleep' signal?
cheers!

Technotiger 15:38 02 Dec 06

Have both the external drives got their own Power units? If not, even if only one, might not be enough power coming through the usb port/s.

antony-332406 15:48 02 Dec 06

yes, both have their own power supply, and i have disconnected all other USB items

Technotiger 15:55 02 Dec 06

Hmmm. only other thing I can think of off-hand is perhaps to do with USB1 or USB2, are your usb ports on pc usb1 or usb2? If usb1 only, might be slowing down external items if they are usb2. Just a thought.

antony-332406 20:20 02 Dec 06

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…