USB external drive problem... or is it?

HappyTrucker 06:33 26 Mar 07

I have a Philips USB external HD. I don't know if I'm doing right or wrong, but I leave it plugged in to both the mains and the USB port. However, when I boot the PC with the drive plugged into the USB the boot process just hangs after listing the Primary/Secondary Master/Slave configuration.

If I unplug the USB drive, boot continues as normal. It's almost as though the PC is trying to boot from the USB drive. Is this normal or has something gone 'a bit wonky' for want of a better term?

skidzy 06:49 26 Mar 07

Have a look in the bios and check the boot order,you should read something like first boot HDD/CD/FLOPPY/USB,you may have to look something on the lines of usb legacy and disable this.

HappyTrucker 07:16 26 Mar 07

Boot is set for A:, C: CD drive. Don't think there's a USB listed, but I'll look later

Technotiger 08:08 26 Mar 07

Hi, I have two usb external drives, both are switched on before I boot-up pc, everything starts as normal. In your BIOS I would suggest that you change your Boot order to make A: boot last - or I believe it is possible to miss out A: altogether, long time since I looked at my BIOS so can't properly remember; unless of course you do use your A: ... First in Boot order is normally C:

Technotiger 08:40 26 Mar 07

ps - another possibility ... try a different usb port, dunno why this should make a difference, but it sometimes does.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…