USB extension leads...

nick_j007 09:35 03 Jun 03

Morning all!

This is my first posting here with my new BB connection (do I look faster?).
Thing is, I now need a new USB extension cable but up to may be 30 feet long! I am concerned that I might loose this new gained speed with the wrong choice of cable; or maybe anything reasonably descent will do as I won't notice any difference anyhow? So please offer your recommendations if you can.

Many thanks,

Nick Jones.

-pops- 09:43 03 Jun 03

You would be better moving the telephone system closer rather than extending the USB cable. Extending the cables telephone exchange ->ADSL filters etc would cause you less signal loss than keeping them as is and putting a USB extension on.

Sorry if that's a bit garbled. Hope you follow!

Brian

nick_j007 09:58 03 Jun 03

Thanks pops.
Would I really notice a slower connection with a lengthy USB though do you think?

It's the easiest option for me I admit.

Nick

-pops- 10:06 03 Jun 03

I did read about maximum lengths recomended for USB (can't remember the length but it was definitely less than the 30 feet you want) and I don't think you can get USB cables anywhere near the length you want anyway - you would have to buy several and link them - not ideal and not without cost!!

Extending the telephone cabling seems the best and neatest way, I feel.

Brian

nick_j007 10:24 03 Jun 03

Yes, fair comment pops. I shall have a fresh look at my phone line set up soon.

Many thanks my friend.

Nick

DieSse 10:28 03 Jun 03

Maximum length for USB = 5m approx

Longer can be unreliable or not work at all, unless you use special cables with boosters in them.

the maximum cable length between two full-speed (12Mbit/sec) devices or a hub is 5 meters using twisted pair sheilded cable with 20-gauge wire.smaller gauge wire shortens this distance,

also i would imagine you will want want your modem where you can see the diagnostic lights,

nick_j007 10:39 03 Jun 03

Thank you DieSse and horiz5. All taken on board.

Nick

flecc 12:01 03 Jun 03

Ebuyer currently have a special offer on 2.5 metre USB repeater (booster) cables at £4.99 each plus VAT. These can be coupled to give a run of up to 80 feet.

With USB though, shorter is always better.

nick_j007 12:15 03 Jun 03

Thanks flecc

Belatucadrus 13:13 03 Jun 03

click here for some 5M USB repeater cables, rather more expensive than fleccs ofering though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5