usb to ethernet question

User-171FC185-ABBA-4B55-BB893621075DB90C 18:51 PM 26 Dec 10

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a talktalk speedtouch modem to a Belkin router

The problem I have is that the line coming out of the speedtouch modem ends in a USB connection - but I need this to be ethernet to fit into the router!

Firstly is there any way of (via some sort of a box type thing) that I can plug the USB connection into and get an ethernet cable one out the other side?

Or, secondly is there any easier way to get the router to work? (I'm a newbie with routers!)

Thanks!

PC Pentium 4 3.00 with Vista + TalkTalk Broadband (via a BT exchange)

mgmcc 07:36 AM 27 Dec 10

You *CANNOT* use a USB ADSL Modem with a Router. What you require is a combined "Router & ADSL Modem" which replaces the USB Modem and connects directly to the phone line.

If the Belkin Router is a "Cable/DSL Router", with an ethernet WAN port, then you have the wrong type of Router. It is suitable for use with Virgin's *CABLE* broadband service.

Thanks for the reply

I thought I couldn't use the usb modem - I was hoping that there would be some form of USB (Female) to RJ45 (Male) Ethernet Adapter Connector,but the problem I would have had was that there is no external power source to the usb modem I've got

2 decisions - either buy an adsl modem with ethernet connection or buy a combined modem/router and forget about the belkin router i've got. The most convinient option has won the day and I'm getting a new combined one

Thanks for the advice!

(I had already checked that the router wasn't a cable router)

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites