USB - Earthenet I to go wireless

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 17:40 31 Dec 07

Hi all and HAPPY NEW YEAR....:)

I have been supplied with a modem that connects to Lappy through USB, however have a Netgear Wireless Router that only has earthenet ports. Is there anything I can do...

Always in your debt.....:)

woodchip 17:52 31 Dec 07

Is the Netgear a Wireless Router Modem? If it is all you need do it setup the Netgear with a Ethernet cable then get the settings from Router Setup page i.e SSID and Encryption key to load into Networking settings on you Wireless computer. You can remove the Ethernet cable once you have done the above

rawprawn 17:56 31 Dec 07

Buy an ethernet cable like this for example?
click here

It is just a router with a wireless network card in the Lappy.

It was originally set up on cable, but things have changed...

The Modem supplied by ISP only has a USB lead attached, thus nowhere for an ethernet cable

woodchip 18:07 31 Dec 07

If it's a Cable Router and you have a Account with them Use as above. But you still have to go into setup Page in the router to set it up. Using IE or another browser. If you have an accout the router should plug into you Cable box

thms 18:10 31 Dec 07

I take it there is no ethernet connection on the back of the modem. If not you could try a usb to ethernet adaptor click here

tullie 18:11 31 Dec 07

By the way Paul,its ethernet not earthnet.

I have moved from a cable area to a none cable area so now getting my internet through a BT phone line. ISP (Virgin) have supplied a new modem that has a lead to the phone that attaches to a filter, and a USB cable that plugs into back of PC. My Router only has holes for ethernet cable....(Thaught the process would be a little more simple lol)

thms 18:26 31 Dec 07

Contant virgin and ask them if you can change your modem to a wireless one. You may have to pay for this though.

Virgin offer Free View TV OR Wireless. since I had my little router I decided to opt for the Freeview, as I had my little router tucked away.

Is there no little gizzmo that has a slot for a USB and one out the other side for an ethernet?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…