USB drivers unstable

crusty 20:11 07 Apr 04

My daughters 550 AMD computer running a dual boot system of Win 98/ Win 2000 will not hold onto the driver details for her,(ALI pci-usb open host controller). I can go to the device manager section and the upgrade driver details button and go through and upgrade the drivers. then everything works ok and her USB printer is fine as well as other USB items. When the computer is restarted next the yellow exclamation mark comes back against the (ALI pci-usb open host controller). Updating the driver details again sorts it out until a restart. Any clues please. Also the computer does not power down on shutdown but you have to press the power button, are these things connected

anon1 20:54 07 Apr 04

How old is the computer? Does the clock keep good time? Does the problem occur in both windows systems? Is this a new problem? Has any hardware been added recently? Any new software added recently? Have the power settings been changed in either os? This click here may help

crusty 09:09 08 Apr 04

The computer is a few years old but the problem is only on the win20000 system. Booting into win98 is fine no trouble with the USB ports or the devices added to the system.
The trouble only occurs in win2000 but if i go to update drivers it recognises the usb host controller and loads the drivers and as long as the computer is switched on all devices work fine, only to lose the drivers when it is restarted in win2000.

anon1 14:52 08 Apr 04

Have you made the changes in windows 2000 as an administrator? Have you also tried restarting the computer immediately after "updating" the drivers.

crusty 22:12 08 Apr 04

we haven't got any separate logon facilities, so all actions are done as administrator. Yes the computer was restarted after the 'updating of the drivers'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…