USB drivers

I have been attempting to install new drivers for the USB as I've been having problems with hangs and blue screens. I have a hub with scanner, prnter, etc. on it and they often hang or report 'not responding'.

I actually downloaded recommended update and ran the exe. OK but what seems to have happened (because I did not uninstall the existing driver(s)) is that I appear to have two of the same in the driver list! If I attempt to uninstall some of them they get reinstalled on reboot.

Anyone know what's going on here and a way round it? MAny thanks

PaulB2005 12:33 24 Dec 05

What is the spec of your PC and what did you download?

XP Pro Laptop (Mitac 8375). I downloaded the drivers from Mitac. Although their instr. did not say uninstall old drivers first, Evesham, told me to do so (but I did'nt).

5.1.2600.0 driver for all but:
5.1.2600.2180 USB root hub & root hub via ver5

However the READme from Mitac includes: 'Current limitations of the driver are: Composite devices and Hi-Speed Isochronous Transfers are currently not supported.' Whatever this means - I wonder if this is a clue to the behaviour I'm getting:

a. if I pull out a USB plug live a blue screen appears. I have seen a MS fix for a similar fault on Firewire but not for USB2.

b. The scanner & printer hang so I think the problem is getting signals back because sometimes they work. Pen drive OK. external DVD drive does sometimes play up. However I do not think this depth of analysis will help it's probably just drivers.

I have a feeling I'm stuck with juggling things.

Any further ideas welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…