usb drive letter now shown as a dvd drive

petrusdad 21:44 14 Jun 07

I have a compaq presario desktop machine which is generally working fine. It has 3 front usb 2.0 ports. Recently the K drive, which corresponds to the top front usb port is shown as a DVD drive in My Computer. This is no cosmetic thing as the usb port is now useless. Can anyone suggest how to change the K drive back to being shown as a USB port?

skidzy 21:48 14 Jun 07

How to change a drive letter
To change an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or on a volume, follow these steps:
1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
5. Click Change.
6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
7. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.
The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:56 14 Jun 07

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

petrusdad 22:22 14 Jun 07

thanks to both skidzy and fruit bat. Fruit Bat - when I go into device manager my misclassified usb drive shows up under dvd/cd rom drives as 'axv cd/dvd-rom scsi cdrom device'. I tried uninstalling this before and it just returns as it is. Is your advice to uninstall both this and all the other usb drives (are these shown as usb root hubs in device manager?)

skidzy 22:26 14 Jun 07

Fruit Bat /\0/\ means uninstall everything under usb heading,xp will install the drivers on reboot.

petrusdad 22:39 14 Jun 07

thanks skidzy : in addition do I have to uninstall the wrongly classified usb drive (which is wrongly classified under dvd/cd rom drives?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:48 14 Jun 07

yes

skidzy 22:48 14 Jun 07

You wont do no harm by uninstalling all the usb ports.

Just a quick question,have you used an external cd/dvd drive at all (usb)

petrusdad 08:24 16 Jun 07

thanks. No I haven't used an external cd/dvd drive. This port got used for a printer and also a portable usb sound card which I bought from the gadget shop.

When you say uninstall the usb drives do you mean absolutely all entries in device manager under the usb heading?

skidzy 11:05 16 Jun 07

Yes petrusdad.

petrusdad 22:18 25 Jun 07

skidzy - deleted everything which had a trace of usb in it ....and the erroneous dvd/cd drive. Took it on the chin when tv tuner, ink saver and printer complained of no drivers as I could reinstall these. However when my shutdown icon displayed an error type message and there was a long count down to shut down got cold feet. Used system restore to get back to where I was so now am accepting I've lost one usb drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017