usb Drive-23gb free but cant past 8gb file??

buel 21:15 14 Nov 09

Hi, im trying to transfer a 8gb file from an external hard drive to a usb pen drive that says (when i go to it's properties) that there is 23gb out of it's max 30gb free and yet when i try to copy and paste iim getting the message that the destination drive is full? I have deleted lots of data from it to create the free space but i dont know why this message is appearing! Please can anyone help?

interzone55 21:22 14 Nov 09

If the pen-drive is Fat32 format (very likely) the max file size if 4gb, if you need to put a bigger file on there you'll need to format it NTFS...

cream. 21:28 14 Nov 09

my computer and format it in NTFS file system

As above.

woodchip 21:45 14 Nov 09

The pen drive will be not Fat32 it will be Just Fat

buel 21:48 14 Nov 09

Thanks for that! So i need to wipe it then?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:49 14 Nov 09

Yes and format as NTFS

buel 21:51 14 Nov 09

Ps- i have now taken the pen drive out and attempted to copy and paste a single 4.35gb file from one external hard drive to another 1tb external hard drive (obviously via my laptop) and im getting the same message but the 1tb external hard drive has 435gb spare??

woodchip 21:55 14 Nov 09

The 1tb External drive will be Fat32

woodchip 21:57 14 Nov 09

To find out what a Drive is, simply right click the drive and choose Properties. And it will tell you what Format it is

buel 22:02 14 Nov 09

Aha! Yep the external hard drive im copying from is NTFS and the external hard drive to is indeed FAT32, surely i dont have to wipe it? What a pain as i currently have nearly half a tb on there! :0(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:30 14 Nov 09

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5