USB Disconnects Itself.....

Seadog 23:39 18 May 09

I was trying to update my mobile phone software/firmware tonight and half-way through the process I heard the 'dong-ding' sound like when you pull out a usb device without stopping it first. Basically the phone had disconnected itself.

I tried several times and in the end used my laptop for the job and all was ok.

This apparent 'disconnection' of usb devices has happened before with other usb hardware, seemingly if there is no transfer of data or activity for some time. Usb memory sticks are ok but it happened a few times with my wireless (internal) usb card, before I changed to an external card.

Any ideas as to why it disconnects/loses contact? Maybe there is some form of timeout that is occurring?

The system is getting on now, I plan to build another one when Windows 7 is out. (and proven!)
Its a Shuttle XPC with P4 3.2 2Gb ram 256 FX8500 graphics and running Windows Xp sp3 if that helps.

PO79 10:45 19 May 09

Go to Device Manager and expand USB Controllers. Right click on USB Root Hub and select Properties, select the Power management Tab and uncheck "Allow Windows To Turn Off This Device..", repeat for all USB Root Hubs.

Seadog 11:16 19 May 09

Thanks very much PO79, I didn't know that power management even existed, you learn something new.....................

Anyway I've done that so let's see what happens next time.

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos