USB Devices slow down startup

wossie 00:58 15 Jul 04

I have an MSI KT6 Delta MoBo XP3200 1G Pc3200 DDR, and for some reason if any USB devices are left plugged in it takes an extra 30 seconds with blank screen to boot up as opposed to no USB devices plugged in. I was ready to reinstall and disconnected all external devices, only to find it booted up a lot quicker. Don't tell me to unplug them before bootup.Anyone got any ideas why.

Derek 07:55 15 Jul 04

Certainly this shouldn't be. Take a look in the startup config, start/run/type "msconfig"/Ok.
Go down the line one by one to see the applications and temp delete one or two that may look suspicious. Indeed it's quite a long process doing a reboot every time but you could get lucky.

jack 09:24 15 Jul 04

USB devices draw power from the system power supply. your mobo cant cope wth the xtra drain.
only plug in the usb device in use keep others off or get a self powered hub [one with a 'brick'
power supply

wossie 20:29 15 Jul 04

I have a 520W PSU but if it is not getting through the mobo fast enough maybe that is the reason, I also keep the minimum in the msconfig startup area. I had a powered USB hub and it would not boot up connected, because USB 1.1 and 2.0 were connected at the same time. I might try a powered hub or disconnect or put up with it. Gremlins. Thanks for the response. Wossie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now