USB devices not mapping in Win98SE

roba_uk 14:49 03 Feb 05

Hi

I have 2 MP3 players and 1 digital camera which were happily connecting to a Win98SE platform via USB. They appeared as removable drives (f:, g: etc).

Suddenly they have stopped working - the device is recognised when connected - a USB R/W driver is added (seen in the Device Manager table under the USB root hub) and reports it is working properly. However there is no drive listed under My Computer to access the device with.

Has anyone run into this problem? I have tried installing/removing device drivers.

The Hub Controller and USB Root hub are present.

Many thx for any help

roba

Greengage 16:17 03 Feb 05

I guess that when you have removed and re-installed device drivers, Windows installs the ones it immediately recognises but which are incorrect. I think also that if you attempt to up-date drivers you will get a message stating that the latest drivers are already installed. I played about with this situation for ages before going to the software supplied with my USB external drives etc and installing from the section "Windows 98 Drivers". Even this did not always work and I eventually resolved the problem by going to the manufacturers' website and downloaded the drivers from there and then installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…