Usb Devices not accesible

Petish 08:30 09 May 06

I cannot access any new devices E.G pen drive or external hard drive when plugged into my USB port. I am running under Windows XP. When the device is plugged into the USB port there is a "bleep" sound but the deice is not shown when I open MY Computer and there I cannot access it

Grantrh 08:35 09 May 06

Try a different USB port maybe.

dms05 09:18 09 May 06

USB Ports have only a finite amount of bandwidth. How many devices are you trying to plug in at the same time and what have you already plugged in before you try adding the Extn HDD etc?

yabadabado 09:59 09 May 06

sounds like an odd qs but have you got any mapped network drives? if you have remove them and try USB again...
I had a problem where no matter what USB drive i pluggeed in, it would not get assigned a drive letter so couldnt use it... Removed the networked drive and bingo, usb working no probs...

Genius1 10:25 09 May 06

Maybe the devices are USB2.0 and the ports are USB1.0? As Grantrh said, I'd try a different port - one that is directly connected as part of the PC (not linked through a hub).

Petish 14:44 09 May 06

Thanks for the replies.
In answer I have tried all 4 USB ports. The only device that I have on my USB ports is an all in one printer which functions OK. I do not have any networking. The device actually shows up in device management. Any further thoughts would be helpful

johnnyrocker 17:08 09 May 06

this ide apparently works with some usb probs similar to that which you describe, and that is switch machine off at the power source and hold the on/off button in for a minute or two then boot up and try again (sounds silly i know but others will confirm this)

johnny.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:19 09 May 06

Uninstall everything listed under USB in device manager.

and reinstall by either rebooting or click the Action menu - scan for new hardware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…