usb devices do not work correctly

chessplayer 11:58 11 Jan 04

I removed an old USB device which plugged into 9 small pins on the motherboard. I instaslled a PCI card with 4 USB slots. On reboot the drivers are asked for (uhcd.sys, usbhub.sys, usbd.sys and openhci.sys). The first three load OK but when I load openhci.sys the PC just hangs.

Forum Editor 12:59 11 Jan 04

could you not have left it, and just added the PCI card?

Where are you getting these drivers from?

Which version of Windows are you using?

chessplayer 23:34 11 Jan 04

I removed an old USB device which plugged into 9 small pins on the motherboard. I instaslled a PCI card with 4 USB slots. On reboot the drivers are asked for (uhcd.sys, usbhub.sys, usbd.sys and openhci.sys). The first three load OK but when I load openhci.sys the PC just hangs.

I tried leaving the old device in - no difference. I'm using windows 98. I extracted the drivers from the Windows Installation Disc. The Microsoft Knowledge base article (number 299264 -use search "uhcd.sys") deals with this problem but doen't mention "openhci.sys". If I don't load "openhci.sys" the PC works OK but no USB devices are recognised.

Trackrat 23:40 11 Jan 04

click here.
Try this

961 17:08 12 Jan 04

If your new usb card is usb2 then I rather think usb2 is only supported by windows xp with service pack 1 installed

Someone else may know if the necessary files, which are included in the service pack, can be obtained for earlier windows o/s

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…