USB devices causing PC to freeze

DeeCee1669 22:21 26 Jul 11

Yesterday, my PC refused to recognise my USB card reader and so I tried it in another USB slot. The slots are at the back of my PC and I was a bit careless. I'm not sure if I've shorted something out but now my PC hangs on the memory test and won't progress. If I remove all the USB devices from the slots it will load but my mouse is a USB device so I can't really do very much. Any suggestions on what the problem is would be much appreciated.

Taff™ 06:37 27 Jul 11

Have a look in the BIOS at the boot order and either disable or move down the list anything referring to USB or network drives.

Ex plorer 17:13 27 Jul 11

Try a reinstall of USB drivers

Start - control panel - system hardware - device manager. Select a USB controller, double click, + right click controllers, select delete or uninstall. Do this for each controller. Restart. PC. The drivers will load or reinstall themselves automatically.

Taff™ 17:23 27 Jul 11

Good suggestion Ex plorer and worth a try but the computer is stalling before booting into Windows because it's trying to boot from a USB device so therefore I still think the BIOS is the root cause. Let`s see if we get a response ....

DeeCee1669 08:13 28 Jul 11

Sorted!!! Actually it's turned out that I did something really stupid. Like I said, it's a bit dark at the back of my PC and I must have got my cables muddled. I had put one end of my USB hub into one USB slot on the PC and then put the end of a USB extension (connected to the hub) into the other slot. 2 days of stressing with no computer. posting here and phoning my local PC fixer guy.

Actually, couldn't get into the BIOS either - hence the panic. Many thanks for all your suggestions. Much appreciated.

spuds 11:01 28 Jul 11

Perhaps worth a mention, some devices might start to 'play up' if there is insufficient power available, and then you may find that a powered hub is a solution worth considering. Not saying that it is a case here , because the problem as been resolved, but perhaps worth considering in the future!.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review: An almost flawless smartphone, almost

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Ghostbusters VFX: See how Iloura brought its ghosts to (un)life

MacBook deals: The best places to find MacBooks on sale in the UK