USB device not recognized

FatboySlim71 18:21 13 Oct 06

I have a rather annoying problem. I am running Windows XP Pro service pack 2.
Every so often I get a message on the taskbar saying "USB Device not recognised"

I have taken a snapshot of the what is shown when I click on the message on the taskbar that says USB device not recognised, with my screen capture program, but I did not know how/if I could insert these pictures on here, its just I thought it would be easier if I could have done this as it would enable others to see what is shown. Anyway,

It shows USB device not recognised, when I click on the message on the taskbar it shows USB Root Hub (2 ports) Unused Port/Unknown device, if I then double click on the unknown device text which is shown in bold writing it shows in the device status box "No drivers are installed for this device, if you are having problems with this device, click troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter". I have not connected anything new to my PC for over a week and this was a new printer but I installed it like the instructions said and have only had this problem since yesterday so I cannot see the printer causing this problem and anyway the printer is not switched on and this message still appears, the only things that are connected up using USB's are my BT Voyager 105 ADSL modem, Logitech MX1000 mouse, both of which have been installed since February 2006 since the PC was bought and I have not installed any updates etc for these two devices. Also the USB device not recognised message on the taskbar will appear then dissapear and then do the same. If there is a way that I can show the pictures I have taken using my screen capture program of the windows that are appearing when I click on the "USB device not recognised" message, it may be easier for people to see what I see, if this is possible.

VoG II 18:27 13 Oct 06

Go to click here click the Browse button to find your screenshot then click Host it.

On a new screen you will be given a set of links - the one you want is Direct link to image (the bottom one). Copy the link and paste it here.

STREETWORK 18:31 13 Oct 06

1. Unplug all your USB kit and reboot the PC, then plug each one in in turn.

Windows should then recognize each one and enable it.

Sometimes there is not enough power to fully initilize USB devices and this is common with those which draw power from the PC through the USB ports.

2. If the error message still appears use another USB port to connect the hardware to. Sometimes front mounted USB devices have problems drawing power.

FatboySlim71 18:38 13 Oct 06
  VoG II 18:42 13 Oct 06

... whilst connected to the internet right click the hub shown in the first screenshot and select Update drivers.

FatboySlim71 18:45 13 Oct 06

All my USB devices are plugged into the rear USB ports and there is only two plugged in, Logitech cordless mouse, BT Voyager USB ADSL modem, so surely they will be enough power to power these plus I have used these since the PC was new without any problems, I am begining to think it will be a USB/Motherboard problem, but I suppose I could be wrong, I hope!

FatboySlim71 18:48 13 Oct 06

Ill try STREETWORK suggestion and post back.

FatboySlim71 19:15 13 Oct 06

Thanks all for the suggestions,

I tried doing what STREETWORK suggested,

1. Unplug all your USB kit and reboot the PC, then plug each one in in turn.

Windows should then recognize each one and enable it.

I tried also VoG suggestion, "whilst connected to the internet right click the hub shown in the first screenshot and select Update drivers"

Neither of the above suggestions worked, also when I Unplugged all your USB kit and reboot the PC, then plug each one in in turn. After about 5 minutes after the PC had loaded up and before I had even connected a single USB device, I got the message "USB Device not recognised"

skidzy 19:48 13 Oct 06

Have you tried uninstalling all Universal Serial Bus Controllers from Device manager and reboot,xp should find the drivers and install them.

To me,it looks like something has corrupted the original drivers.

Alternatively, the System File Checker sfc /scannow (note the space) sfc /

Understanding sfc click here

If this is a recent problem,i would try system restore first.

Hope this helps.

FatboySlim71 20:45 13 Oct 06

Thanks skidzy,

I tried "uninstalling all Universal Serial Bus Controllers from Device manager and reboot,xp should find the drivers and install them" but the problem is still there. After a minute or so after XP had found the drivers and installed them and even before I had connected a USB device to my PC, I got the "USB device not recognised" message

I done a system restore to a date when I knew everything was fine, but the problem is still there.

I have just ran System file checker, but the problem is still there.

I am beginning to think that it will be a call out from Evesham as I am beginning to think its an internal USB fault, hope im wrong.

STREETWORK 21:05 13 Oct 06

Now do this.

For your USB devices update or reinstall the drivers for them, modem, keyboard, etc...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…