usb device not recognised

joethebow 13:22 29 Jul 07

I have 2 unpowered USB hubs and 3 external HDD's Everything was working well until this morning. I restarted the PC and got the dred message, 'USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNISED'. None of the external HDD's were being seen.

I disconnected everything and tried reconnecting one thing at a time. The USB Mouse & Printer are OK but when I connect any one of the hubs or drives I ger 'DEVICE NOT RECOGNISED'.

Tried Scannow and a system restore but the problem persists. Tried different ports. Tried the BIOS but no luck.

Tried the external drives on my laptop and they're OK.

Running XP SP2 up to date on an AMD 2200 with 1gb RAM. Don't really want to do a reinstallation of windows, don't believe it would sort the problem.

postie24 13:29 29 Jul 07

Try uninstalling the usb ports in device manager.
Windows will re-intall them on reboot

€dstowe 13:43 29 Jul 07

If the devices work when connected direct to another computer then suspect the USB ports on the computer itself being broken. They are quite faddy in the way they respond to being connected/disconnected and it is very easy to wreck them by not carrying out the correct disconnect procedure, especially hard drives.

These are not repairable but you can get USB PCI cards quite cheaply to replace them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:41 29 Jul 07

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

woodchip 17:47 29 Jul 07

Are the USB drives self powered? If not they are drawing too much power and are shutting the USB down

Biker Dave 20:23 11 Dec 07

I think i have the same issue as above. My usb external drive is not recognised on my new laptop running vista but is fine on my desktop running xp. where the above advice says uninstall everything under the heading usb does this mean all under the usb controllers heading or just the usb root hubs? I have tried updating the drivers but to no avail.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:27 11 Dec 07

does this mean all under the usb controllers heading

Yes EVERTHING!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now