USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNISED

big erch 18:12 11 Nov 06

I have just purchased a new mp3 player and when I attach it to the computer via the USB lead, I get the message "USB device not recognised". I have been in device manager, went through windows troubleshooting to no avail and even tried the windows 98 drivers. Still no joy! Any suggestions?

Kate B 18:24 11 Nov 06

Do other USB devices work in that port? And what OS are you using?

big erch 18:57 11 Nov 06

Yes, other devices still function in this port. I am using XP HOme Edition.

Bucklebury 21:33 11 Nov 06

what os are you using.
what make is your mp3 player?
does your system see it as removable storage device....ie in My Computer is there an extra drive.....

big erch 22:30 11 Nov 06

I'm using the XP Home Edition. The MP3 player is a Rave 19. It does not display as an additional drive in My Computer, just the message box saying "USB device not recognised".

moorie 23:19 12 Nov 06

big erch,
has your xp got sp2 installed?
the reason im asking is ive just recently bought and had a hassle with a blue tooth usb dongle.
the driver cd that came with it wasnt compatable with sp2,some of the symptoms are not recognising usb devices or in my case fatal system error message,microsoft has a few articles on it.i think its to do with security features in sp2
then again if you havent got sp2 installed?

Bucklebury 23:30 12 Nov 06

Sorry,,,,,yes sp2(service pack 2) needs to be installed or do you need drivers for your mp3 .did you get an instalation disk with it...

brundle 23:33 12 Nov 06

Rave19 is a USB2.0 device from what I've read; if you go into Control Panel/Hardware/Device Manager and expand the USB entries, do you see `Enhanced` amongst any of the entries?; if not, either your PC does not support USB2, or you don't have USB2 drivers installed, and XP SP2 almost certainly installs USB2 drivers IIRC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…