usb device not being recognised

sparky boy 18:28 02 Dec 06

USB devices are not being recognised in my WIN XP computer.

Approx 3 months ago I tried to install a TOM TOM device and that would not install as the device (USB) would not be recognised in device manager. I know it is my computer because it loaded ok on another xp machine. Today I have tried to install a new palm device and same problem again and I then tried another Hub device and that would not detect drivers or be recognised.

I direct it to the installation CD's and the hub should use the standard xp drivers.

Help Please

Iron Maiden 19:10 02 Dec 06

Something to check
If your devices are usb 2.0 & your PC usb ports are usb 1.0 they will not work. If this is the case you can buy a usb 2.0 pci card to put in your pc

Taff™ 19:18 02 Dec 06

Remove all USB connected devices. Try going to Start>Control Panel>System and then the Hardware Tab. Select Device Manager and scroll down to USB Controllers and right click everything underneath and select remove. Reboot the computer and all these devices will be re-installed so be patient!

Start again and see if this improves things.

sparky boy 19:36 02 Dec 06

Taff that sound drastic. Do deleat all usb stuff including Intel host controller stuff. Also do I leave all usb devices connected when I remove and when I reboot?
Thanks

Taff™ 19:03 03 Dec 06

Not Drastic at all- standard stuff! Remove all USB connected devices just as a precaution & yes, remove the Intel Controller stuff as well. Windows will re-install it all, hopefully correctly.

Taff™ 19:05 03 Dec 06

Not Drastic at all- standard stuff! Remove all USB connected devices just as a precaution & yes, remove the Intel Controller stuff as well. Windows will re-install it all, hopefully correctly.

Taff™ 10:36 12 Dec 06

Any luck?

sparky boy 19:02 12 Dec 06

tried that and it locked out all USB's. So I had a reinstall of windows. Very dramatic but sorted the problem. Thanks for the info and effort

Taff™ 11:29 13 Dec 06

You should have posted back! Never mind - sorted now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…