USB device installation problems on WIN 2000

photoneil 11:55 20 Feb 04

Since building my new PC with a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 Mobo and running WIN2000, service pack 4, I have had problems with some USB devices.

My Printer, Scanner and Wacom Tablet all work fine but My 64MB Memory stick and an External DVD drive only install correctly, occassionally.

With both devices, when installing the drivers, it fails saying that "function driver not specified for device instance".
Even when I have a disk with the drivers on it the installation always tries to load C/winnt/inf/usb.inf .
If I force the PC to load the drivers from the disk it says "the device cannot start" when I reboot.

I have no problems with these devices on another PC that also runs WIN2000 but with service pack 2.

The problems occur less with the rear USB ports than with the front ports of my PC. These ports are fed from different sockets on the Mobo.

Is it a Mobo issue or a WIN2000 problem? Do I need to re-install WIN2000 perhaps?

Any ideas? Thanks!

MichelleC 13:15 20 Feb 04

Why not uninstall sp4 and see if that's it? Then once they're installed reinstall sp4.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…