USB device causes immediate re-boot

TN 10:42 05 Jun 08

I have a problem which was discussed about a year ago but no solution was found. I hope someone can come up now with a result. When I plug in, say, my MP3 player or my bluetooth device into any of my USB ports the computer immediately re-boots. If it is already plugged in when booting the computer it only gets to the Windows welcome screen and then re-boots immediately. I am running Windows XP SP2 with 1 GB RAM and have no problems with anything other than this one.
'Allow computer to turn off this device'is de-selected in USB properties as this had been suggested in the other reader's problem last year. There is no difference when it is plugged into an internal USB port or to an external powered one. All contributions will be gratefully received.

Technotiger 11:01 05 Jun 08

Have you tried un-installing ALL your USB ports (in Devices) and then re-starting the computer to re-install them?

Ditch999 11:08 05 Jun 08

Is this all of your USB ports it happens on?
What is your motherboard make and model?
Some older boards had horrendous problems with USB chipset, mostly VIA if I remember right.
You can DL SiSoft Lite click here= which will tell all about your motherboard and the USB chips used.

Ditch999 11:20 05 Jun 08

Or it may be a resource conflict with your IRQ settings in the BIOS, depending on if you have set the BIOS to PnP OS or not.
Have you the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

TN 14:24 05 Jun 08

Thanks to all of you for your time - tried some of the suggestions but as my computer is about 15 months old it should not be acting like this. Did an 'R' reinstall of Windows and this has cured it - don't ask me why but obviously something was disagreeing with something else in the operating system. Again thank you all.

karmgord 20:37 05 Jun 08

Your usb port may be damaged and shorting out when a device is plugged in,this would only be likely on one port,if it happens on two or more ports are the devices drawing too much power from the port?

Technotiger 20:41 05 Jun 08

OK - thanks for your feedback.

Technotiger 20:43 05 Jun 08

BTW, if you are finished with the thread, don't forget the Green tick. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…