USB detects attached devices intermitently

billy 20:31 23 Mar 04

I have a PC running Windows Me with 2 USB 1.1 ports and a 4 port hub. When I attach a device to the USB ports the PC cannot see them. Only when I repeatedly unplug/plug does the PC sometimes see the device. Sometimes halfway through use thePC no longer sees the device e.g. printer.
Any ideas on how to solve?

Gongoozler 20:45 23 Mar 04

Hi billy, you don't tell us anything about your computer. Some old VIA motherboard chipsets had problems with usb. Otherwise it could be that you need to update the motherboard drivers.

billy 21:34 23 Mar 04

When I go to Device Manager I see "Via" mentioned a lot so I guess that is what I have. I clicked on Device Driver which is dated 2000. I see some traffic to the interent then I am told I have most up to date driver. Does that sound up to date and is there anywhere I can check?

shizzy 21:50 23 Mar 04

Microsoft have a patch for USB.The number is 822603 at M/S Support.

billy 22:10 23 Mar 04

Thanks but that appears to be for XP whereas I am using Windows Me.

canute44 22:14 23 Mar 04

shizzy: I looked up your 822603 and, unless I am looking in the wrong place, it refers to Windows XP not Me as billy needs. I too have Me and am currently experiencing intermittent problems with USB devices "disconnecting" themselves without permission. Also a problem with being unable to disconnect USB storage devices as "a file is open" when all appears to be done and dusted.

canute44 22:15 23 Mar 04

Gongoozler 22:45 23 Mar 04

The important bit about VIA chipsets and USB is what chip is used for the USB drive. If you're using Windows ME, your chipset is probably not the problem one. The problem chipset is the MVP3 which was made about 1998. Later chipsets should be ok.

This Microsoft article may help click here;EN-US;263218

http: //;EN-US;263218

dotterel 22:50 23 Mar 04

Could it be that your hub is not capable of supplying sufficient power for the devices you have attached? Even "powered" hubs have limitations. Try having just one device attached at a time.

sicknote 23:10 23 Mar 04

This maybe of some help !!!!click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…