USB & D-Link DUB-H4 problem

My laptop (XP pro) has 4 USB2 ports. I need more, so I purchased the above. HOWEVER, my Epsom perfection 4180 refuses to work when it is connected to the laptop direct and I have the expander plugged in as well! Note the expander has a powered dvd drive (which works), and a switched off printer. If I pull the expander out all is OK. In this example I am scanning slides. Has anyone any idea why, or what connection combination will work?

Forum Editor 16:25 10 Oct 05

like a power management problem.

Try this fix, and come back if it doesn't improve matters:-

1. Click on "Start" and then right-click on "My Computer."

2. Click on "Properties" and then on the "Hardware" tab.

3. Half-way down on the right, click on "Device Manager."

4. Click the plus sign in front of "Universal Serial Bus Controllers."

5. Double-Click on the first "USB Root Hub" (not USB 2.0 Root Hub).

6. Click on the "Power Management" tab.
Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

7. Click "OK" and repeat for all other "USB Root Hubs."

Now close everything and carry on.

I have heard from Epsom and they indicate that this might be a driver problem (they have a story on this about the VIA chips). I do not think it's power as my extender is self powered. I tried yor suggestion but to no avail. I will consider this closed now unless someone out there has a similar problem.

Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…