USB crashes PC

whattodo 05:49 28 Oct 07

Well if you can solve this you are a better person than me!! I built a new PC last year, using mainly parts from my old pc. The motherboard had died in the old pc. Brief spec: 400w corsair PSU, 2Gb PC3200, AMD 3400 cpu, MSI K8N Neo motherboard, 128Mb AGP graphics card, XP home, Creative Audigy sound card. The problem I have is that when I insert a USB pen drive or camera the PC sometimes crashes and restarts. This doesn't happen every time and is not resricted to one USB port. I changed the cheap PSU that came with the case for the one listed above, thinking that maybe unstable voltages were the problem but this has failed to rectify the problem. In every other way the PC is stable and will run Prime95 for hours with no errors at acceptable temps, which leads me to think it is a voltage problem, but don't know where to look next....... Any help gladly accepted!! Cheers

Technotiger 07:04 28 Oct 07

Have a read through this, might give you some ideas ..

click here

whattodo 08:15 28 Oct 07

Cheers for that, I'll have a look at all the suggestions and report back! I should of added that all mobo drivers are the latest versions and have flashed the bios to the latest version too. There's a few more bits in that article for me to look at though.

whattodo 08:36 28 Oct 07

Have tweaked the registry as suggested in the KB article, and after rebooting seems to be ok, but like I said this is an intermittent problem which makes it even harder to pinpoint!! If something happens all the time by a process of elimination you can usually sort it! Any USB device will sometimes cause it to crash, I have a USB external HDD for back up purposes and sometimes switching that on will cause a restart-drives me mad!! Thanks for the help

Technotiger 10:13 28 Oct 07

Yes, it is difficult with intermittent problems, but hopefully your tweaking may have been all that was needed. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced