USB controller problem after OS upgrade

dripv 16:14 04 Dec 05

I upgraded my OS from Windows 98 to Windows 2000 Professional. Now my USB controller card does not work unless I uninstall/reinstall it or update the driver (with the one already installed) via Device Manager. I have to repeat this each time the PC starts up. All ideas are gratefully received.

Skyver 18:55 04 Dec 05

Do you know what chipset the card uses? Have a look at some of these click here

dripv 10:25 07 Dec 05

I followed your link and found this item which exactly describes my problem under its heading SYMPTOMS: click here

How do I determine the chipset and motherboard?

Without knowing my chipset and motherboad I followed the instruction in the RESOLUTION.

Rather than resolving the problem and installing the USB Controller, turning off the USB function in the BIOS had the effect of removing the USB Controllers item from the Device Manager list (which makes sense).

Having turned off the USB function, can I manually install the USB Controller as a non plug-and-play device? Or is there another way?

Thanks for your help.

Newuser4165 12:52 07 Dec 05

This program can help you identify the motherboard and chipset:-
click here

woodchip 13:00 07 Dec 05

If you take the side of your comp, look at the motherboard for sqare black chip on it it may say Via or SIS Intel. that's what you need to know

dripv 23:13 09 Dec 05

The program tells me the board is MSI INC. ALADDIN5 VER:1.0 which is not as decribed in the link we found above. Although the link exactly describes the problem except that the USB controller is listed in my Device Manager as ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller.

Does knowing the motherboard now give me some options?

woodchip 10:22 10 Dec 05

click here

Near the Top

Drifter 12:23 10 Dec 05

you could try downloading and running Aida32, this will tell you all about your motherboard and more.
click here

dripv 20:58 05 Jan 06

Thanks for all your input.

I think I will buy a new PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…